- All the activities will be based house- wise. There are four houses viz. Love, Hope, Unity, and Zeal.
- We organize both academically inclined as well as sports based events at a district level and encourage our students to participate in them
- Co-curricular activities include debate, dance, dramatics, music, essay writing, elocution, quiz competitions, exhibitions, football and cricket matches
- Students are advised to participate in one or more activity of their choice to develop life-skills, team work, stage presence and event management skills
- We tied-up with EDUSPORTS (a Sport Village Enterprise) for enhancing the overall physical development of the child and for systematic execution of sports lessons till the 8th grade.
Edusports , a sportzVillage enterprise, is India’s first and largest School sports organization working with over 800 schools across 250 locations. EduSports curriculum has been developed based on NASPE (National Association for Sports and Physical education, USA).
The program is based on five pillars:
- Inclusive & Responsive
- Age-Appropriate Learning
- Progress Tracking Assessment
- Certified Trainers & Coaches
- Skill Development & Fitness
- The School provides transport facilities to its students by way of buses and auto-rickshaws against payment of prescribed conveyance fee.
- The School has a well-equipped library with books on various subjects and a well furnished reading room with newspapers, magazines and periodicals. The library stays open till 4 pm on all working days.
- The School has Laboratories for Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and an Atal Tinkering Laboratory under construction
- Computer education is given from class I onwards.
- The School has facilities for both indoor and outdoor games.
- Day boarding and complete boarding facilities are also provided as per prescribed norms.
UDAYA MENTORSHIP PROGRAMME
It is compulsory for all members of academic staff to adopt one child every year as a mentee. The mentee has to be a child who is going through difficulties in form of financial, psychological, familial or health struggles. The teacher’s role is to ensure that the child gets special attention and support that can lead to a compassionate and empathetic educational experience.
School has 7 working Clubs – Fine art, Go Green, Literary, Photography, Science, Social and Tech. These clubs promote practical and skill-based learning in the chosen area of interest.
Parents are expected to encourage their ward to be a part of any one of these clubs. In exceptional cases membership of more than one club is allowed and encouraged
It includes workshops and assignments designed to promote sensitivity and mutual co-existence between genders within the school. It also includes awareness regarding gender based discrimination and historical roots of such discrimination in the context of our nation.
For instance, most of the students enrolled with us come from families where traditional gender roles are followed i.e Fathers work outside, whereas Mothers look after the home and children. The traditional gender roles are being challenged in many realms across the globe but we try to combat the effect it has on young adolescents by designing graded assignments keeping the limitations of our students in mind.
The School provides after School remedial classes to those students who struggle in specific subjects. Parents are expected to get in touch with the class teacher if they want to avail the additional guidance and individual attention that these classes provide
The School organizes workshops for both students and teachers all year round. The topics for these may be specific to a subject or include a holistic understanding of education. Workshops vary in terms of both organizers and participants every year and are tailored to meet the specific requirements of the recipients.
The School has a thriving psychology department that provides counselling to students and teachers as well as organizes sensitization programs for all concerned. The main types of counselling available are as follows:
Individual: The School provides individual counselling to students and teachers that are struggling with mental health issues.
Group: The School provides group counselling to classes or groups of students who have similar issues.
Career Counselling: Career counselling which entails aptitude assessment is compulsory for 10th and 12th students to increase informed decision making in the world of specialization.
SOCIAL SERVICE AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
We, at UPS, consider social responsibility to be an integral part of good education and therefore wants to work towards creating an environment that fosters the spirit to “giving back”. The School through its clubs encourages students and teachers to participate in relevant social issues. Book donation, infrastructure sharing, fund collection for natural calamities cancer awareness programs, mental health awareness workshops. The School is in the process of adopting a local Government Primary School to be able to start a meaningful public-private partnership (PPP). The social service wing of UPS aims to spread education and be a vehicle for change in communities that need it the most.
Home visitation by teachers is carried out in case of a child struggling to adapt. It is compulsory for all children of the 10th and 12th grade who have to write their Board exams. The purpose of home visit is to encourage cooperation between parents and children and to keep the lines of communication open. We hope to expand our home visit program to one visit per child in the coming years.
The School elects a Student Council every year. The students are selected on the basis of their academic and co-curricular record. The students are expected to submit a Curriculum Vitae to be assessed fairly. There is also an interview to short list deserving candidates for posts that have more applicants than posts. The investiture ceremony takes place every 15th August. The student council has members from the 11th grade who are selected of a well-defined screening process. The Screening process is made transparent to all students of the 11th grade. The purpose of the council is to provide children with leadership qualities and event-management experience to be able to work closely with Teachers and The Management. The School issues an internship certificate to all students who finish their year of work in Student Council.
Our School keeps abreast of the latest technological innovations. Our school campus in wifi- enabled and has all cutting edge technology required for better knowledge dissemination. We use Computers, Laptops, Projectors, Tablets and DSLR Camera. We also have SMS facility that keeps parents up to date. We will also be launching an android app for Parents to monitor their child’s performance and grades.
However, according to latest research hand held devices like smart phones and tablets are causing physical and mental harm to the students. We, therefore, actively discourage the excessive use of these devices. We also request our parents to be aware and vigilant to prevent misuse of internet by adolescents.
Internet based research is discouraged till the 10th grade. Parents are advised to encourage active entertainment amongst children like outdoor games and reading
- UPS offers a number of hobbies. It is compulsory for all students to go for hobby course of their choice.
- Dance (Western Free Style and Indian Classical)
- Science Club
- Cooking and finishing school for table manners
- Drawing and Painting
- Interior design/Clay Modeling/ Flower Arrangement
- Public speaking/ Personality Development
- Social Work/Community Service
- Sports (Indoor and outdoor)
- Web Designing
- Big Brother/Big Sister
- Electronics & Robotics